This blogfest is as much about accountability as it is dreaming. In one way, it gives us a place to set goals each month and in another it's a place to talk about the steps we took--or didn't take--to get there.
When Misha and I started this blogfest in 2013, I had two goals. 1)Make a million dollars writing in a twelvemonth period 2)Write a million words.
I've all but given up on one goal. At this point in time, I find it unreasonable to think I will ever make a million dollars writing, but I'd be happy just making a living writing now. I still recognize the need to write a million words. (This is the point at which an author is said to become an expert, and being an expert would likely make profitability easier).
My goals for 2016:
Increase my count to a million by two hundred thousand words.
Get romantic fiction published in woman's world ($800/short would help with next goal)
Make $1,500/month writing at least one month this year.
Get my thesis novel through the first pass
Complete 20 graduate hours
Find a new job (I quit the day job due to migraines).
Get off Coke-Cola
Find a better writing/life balance. (I either don't write at all or abandon other parts of life).
Make $500/month writing at least one month before June
Now what I've accomplished this year:
- Not as much as I would have liked
- I wrote a draft of my thesis novel! (57,834 words)
- 10 grad hours
- Romantic short to submit to woman's world (969 words cut to 800).
- wrote a picture book 5,000 words
- Get blog traffic back to 100 hits/day (I was getting 200 before going back to work)
- Add 2 scenes to thesis novel
- Get through 1 round of revisions on thesis novel
- Write four shorts for submission to Woman's World
- Find 3 other mags to submit to regularly
Steps I'm Taking to Get There
- I've introduced a DIY MFA series in which I give away tips I'm learning at $7100/semester. Traffic has already gone up since introducing the series last week. I'm also opening to guest posts again, provided the author give some useful hints on craft in the post.
- I've thought out the scenes to be added and will be adding them Sunday/Monday morning.
- As I'm currently unemployed I'm writing in the morning before doing anything else. This ensures I get writing time, but may have to change when I find a job.
- Saturday morning is my "Market Place day." The writing I do on Saturday morning is for a short I can quickly submit.
- I do not have a good way to find 3 other mags to submit to. I have found a couple of resources but need free resources!
I will be hopping around a little bit later. Must do some cleaning first. Do you know of free resources to find mag/online writing opportunities? What did you accomplish in 2015? What are your goals for 2016? What steps are you taking to get there?