Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Wed. & Writing: The Bottom Up Technique

Most of you know, I come from a stage background, and when I changed my major and went to law school I thought those wasted years were the end of the world--until I started writing YA. Because methods for charicterization and stake building I learned for stage translate easy into my writing.

I've been contemplating writing two very different paranormal romances at once. The worlds, characters and "rules" of reality will be very different. And anyone who has ever tried to live in multiple worlds at once can tell this is very difficult. To make it easier on myself I've decided to write in character.

You're probably wondering what on earth I mean by that. Doesn't everyone who writes in the first person write in character?

Well, probably not like this. I've decided that on days I'm writing Katie's story, I'm going to be Katie (who is actually Rachel) and on days I'm writing Emily, I'll be Emily (who is just Emily, thank God).

Katie is a Vegas show girl. I'll start with sexy heels and build a show girl costume complete with jewelry and make up around it. The bottom up technique always starts with the shoes. Shoes matter. They have a serious effect on your posture and often your confidence. Not to mention a character who spends 14 hours on her feet would most likely not wear the same shoes as someone who sits in an office, or moves at leisure.

You've heard the expression, "walk a mile in his shoes," and the bottom up technique wants you to do just that. Because by walking in your character shoes, by being confined to their wardrobe you start to understand their movements and reactions better.

Emily is an Arkansas school girl. She wants to be comfortable but cute. I see her in flip-flops with a skirt that rides above the knees and a tank top. Very different, from Katie's risque dress and four inch heels. And Katie has some skeletons in her closet but those four inch shoes are hard to walk in, don't you know? ;)

If you get stuck this week, I challenge you to walk a mile in your character's shoes.

11 comments:

  1. Note to self: make sure none of your characters are wearing stilettos. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting way to get into your character's head. I'm curious to see how it works for you. You're advice to walk in your character's shoes is good. Although, admittedly, I don't think I want to walk in Zach's shoes. Not only are they too big....yeah, I'm more a lover than a fighter. I'll stay out of his shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL. In one of my WIPs, my MC is a thirteen year old boy. I don't know if I can pull that off in real life. Might be fun to try though. No on second thought, it would just be weird. Maybe it would work for my YA manuscript though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I particularly love the Vegas showgirl idea. Seems new. Is it YA though? She'd have to get fake ID and pretend to be over 21, no?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Start with the shoes. Start with the shoes. OK. Sounds good to me.

    Great idea. Since I'm working on two stories I'll try it and see what happens.

    ReplyDelete
  6. IDK Kelley. I've known some 13 year old boys with huge feet. They might fit. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's YA. She has another fake name she uses at the night club. During the day she takes her wig off and is Katie at hs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL, my husband would love it if he came home to find me dressed as a show girl.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm with Stina. If I have to be a character while I'm writing their story, they'll have to wear sandals, go barefoot, or looklike they're on the way to play tennis!

    ReplyDelete
  10. In awe of that anwesr! Really cool!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's raelly shrewd! Good to see the logic set out so well.

    ReplyDelete