Friday, February 27, 2015

Big Dreams Blogfest

The Big Dreams Blogfest is hosted by Misha Gericke and myself.

When we started this blogfest, my goal was to write a million words and make a million dollars. After my unproductive 2014, I've decided to focus on smaller stepping stones this year. However, I'm finding even that difficult. Mostly because I've started a new day job and most days I'm working like 12 hours and putting additional hours on the weekend. The good news is I work with books, writing and language a lot during the day job. The bad news is after an 11-12 hour day, I'm exhausted and don't feel like writing. In the morning before work, I'm exhausted and don't feel like writing.

I've been working on a children's story for a month now. And it's not done. I have learned that if I can start writing in 20 minute sprints, I might get somewhere again. I can write about 400 words in 20 minutes, so pulling even one or two 20 minute sprints a day would make a contribution to my day count. There was a time when 400 words a day seemed like someone who didn't take writing serious to me, and now I just hope to hit that. But I only managed to get 20 minute sprints in a few times.

So that's me. How are your goals coming along?

4 comments:

  1. I feel the same way sometimes with the 400/day = laziness. But 400/day is better than a goose egg.
    As for the 11-12hr shifts, that sounds brutal. I think 400 would be a miracle considering your schedule. And somewhere in there you still have to interact with your family.

    You amaze me, Beth. Keep fighting! :)

    Goal-wise I'm still job-hunting. For just about anything right now... I'm writing a PNR short right now and seeing where that takes me. I'm eyeing an anthology call, but I'll have to see if I have something good enough at the end of the first draft.

    Here's to hoping March will be kinder for the both of us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a full-on work schedule, I don't think anyone would judge you for being too tired to write after that! And if you manage 400 words a day, that's 12,000 a month, which is nothing to be sniffed at. Always remember; we're only in competition with ourselves. Good luck!
    Angeline

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true, what Angeline says - we're only in competition with ourselves. But you have my full admiration. I let a full time job stop me from writing, and I'll always regret that - so even with 400 words a day - keep at it, you'll never regret it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow yeah from last year, I remember how tough long work days are on writing. Write what you can, when you can. It all still adds up.

    ReplyDelete