Tuesday, April 26, 2016

S=Sports Writing

April is all about making money writing. Sports writing is something you may not have considered. Believe it or not while looking for a day job in 2014 I wrote sports articles about a little league team for $50/pop. These articles were short 250-500 words. I wrote the questions for the interview and watched practices to do a feature story rather than just a q&a. If you don't know what i'm talking about check out this post. In fairness, I spent 3-5 hours on each article, so I made $10-15/hour. That is decent money writing. I had no interest in sports before my brief stint as a sports writer but developed more of an appreciation for the work athletes do in the process. More importantly, I IMPROVED my writing. That's right. Sports writing needs to imitate the action on a field/court. Action words are a must! I learned much. And newspapers pay about the same rate with some of the larger ones paying more.

Have you ever thought of sports writing?

No comments:

Post a Comment