Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Perfect Chemistry Book 1



I LOVED THIS BOOK!!!! I can say with no degree of uncertainty and in all caps, because I'm not a fan of contemp. I especially am not a fan of contemp written in the present. Call me "Old School," but it stands to reason by the time something has been recorded the event is over. I only have this book, because my CP sent it to me as motivational inspiration to finish my contemp WIP. Yet I tore through it in one day, putting a wolf book down to read it.

The book is written with alternating narrators, Brittany, the white girl, and Alex, her gangster. Brittany is a spoiled brat. In spite of Alex's being a gangster and his affinity for sharp objects, I spent most of the book liking him way more than Brittany. However, she does evolve nicely. But the thing that really made this book stand out for me was the way she painted both povs so well. In the beginning, the two narrators know of each other, but only to the extent of rumors. He thinks she's a spoiled little brat who thinks the world is her personal playground, and while there might be some degree of truth to that there is more to her than that. And she thinks he's just a bad boy gangster ready to shoot the next person that looks at  him, way more to his story as well. She's afraid of the gangster, and he feels he has something to prove because her crew is so much  "better" than him. I love the voice too! I'd give this book a five star rating.

3 comments:

  1. I agree, I LOVE Simone Elkele's voice when she writes. Nice review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this series too. You have to read Rules of Attraction next! I agree with you about the writing and that both pov's were done well. Can't wait for the last book in the trilogy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YESSS!! so happy to see you enjoyed Perfect Chemistry... Easily one of my favorite reads this year :)

    ReplyDelete