Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Beginnings Blogfest

The Beginnings Blogfest is being hosted by LG Keltner at Writing Off The Edge in honor of her blogiversary.  It's a blogfest about beginnings, so I thought I'd talk about how I started writing.

So I always knew I wanted to write, but it never stuck. When I was in the fourth grade, I asked my teacher to help me get a book published for Christmas. (Totally unrealistic, but I was in the fourth grade). When I dropped out of law school, I started trying to write some overly descriptive bs that I guess would have been literary fiction. Didn't stick. Thank God.

Before I decided to finish law school, I played with short stories (again literary) and thought about doing an MFA. Didn't stick. I gave up on writing and worked hard at my day job organizing evidence. Then my husband rented a vampire movie he heard a lot of girls liked hoping I'd watch it with him--Twilight. I think it stuck a little more than he had planned. I loved it so much, the next day we went to the theater to see New Moon. I loved that so much, I went to the bookstore and bought the other two books. I read them that weekend and loved them so much I bought the first two. Turned out Stephenie Meyer was only an English major who once upon a time had been employed as a receptionist. I was an English major too. If she could write, so could I. Not only was that the beginning of my writing career (I wrote my first PNR within six weeks of watching Twilight), but it was the beginning of my love affair with YA, and in a way the blog. (I started blogging to improve my writing).
Where did you begin?

16 comments:

  1. I think the Twilight saga got a lot of peeps writing. For me, it was Harry Potter. A lightbulb went off and said, hey I can do this! I've always wanted to write stories too, just needed that kick in the buns to get going. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't like the Twilight books, but I love the movies. I started writing when my kids were young because I wanted to do something other than just take care of kids. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also started writing seriously when a book stuck with me longer than it should have. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun story. I also had a lot of things that "didn't stick" before I discovered how much I loved writing. Great to meet you through this fest! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it was in elementary school. I started writing stories and poems all the time and my nose was always in a book. I kept reading and writing, so I majored in English. After teacher for a few years, I knew I needed to give in to the author in me. I've never looked back. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always find it inspiring to see where others found inspiration. Excellent post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL I was hoping the Twilight books "didn't stick". BUT I am also glad you found your muse in Edward, Bella and Stephanie. Mine has been more traditionally horror, where the "Bella"s I knew were also named "Lugosi".

    I have always been writing. It's something I need to do. I only publish about 10% of the stuff I do, but that is perfect for me.

    --
    Tim Brannan
    The Other Side
    The Freedom of Nonbelief

    ReplyDelete
  8. For some reason I always defined a writer as a fiction writer. Lately I've been realizing through my blog that I'm more of a writer than I thought. It's just that I prefer writing non-fiction. Thanks for sharing your beginnings as a writer. It's always interesting to read these types of stories.

    Visiting from L.G.'s blogfest - nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad that you found something to ignite your passion for writing. Some things stick, some things don't. It's all about taking the things that stick and making something great out of the experience.

    Thanks for participating in my blogfest!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, popping by from LG's blogfest. I think I started writing (stories and songs) when I was in elementary skewl, but only began writing fiction in a more serious way in my late 20s, maybe?

    I dig your "voice" here on your blog; it's very distinctive!
    Some Dark Romantic

    ReplyDelete
  11. I also started writing because of a book! Interesting how some stories stick with different people. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Twilight was pretty much the beginning for me too when it comes to writing YA. It was a MG series that I read when I was 9 that left me wanting to be a writer.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very cool! Twilight was the catalyst for many writers I know. Amazing how one book can change your life, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I didn't start writing until I was in my 30s and even then I got going by accident.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think you're right that one of the inspiring things about Twilight is Stephenie Meyer's background. She doesn't have a dozen PhD's, didn't write for the New York Times, doesn't have a Pulitzer under her belt, and didn't do humanitarian work in the Congo. She's a real, normal person who happened to write a book. It makes the goal of writing a novel seem much more realistic and sane.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think Twilight inspired a whole slew of new writers. I'm glad you found your inspiration. :)

    ReplyDelete