Monday, January 14, 2013

On Branding

If you had asked me two months ago, I would have told you that authors worry too much about branding. That what readers want more than a brand name is a good book. But something happened in December that changed my mind. I read two books I absolutely loved. Still do--I'll probably re-read them. They're that good. I was pretty sure the writer was going to become my new  favorite author. She released a third book in December and I waited for it's midnight release and bought it. It was NA where the others had been marketed as YA, but her other books were about college kids too. So I didn't think anything about it. And boy, did I regret that not just because the book was so disturbing to read either(although it was). But because the next time this author who I was coming to love releases a book, I won't be able to buy it. There will be a voice in the back of my mind saying, "What if it's like the last one?" The problem wasn't the jump from YA to NA (and ironically, I think all these books are mislabeled). The first two books were sweet and beautiful. I'm pretty sure the third was basically erotica. For reasons I'm not going to go into, I don't see anything to be gained from reading/writing erotica, but there is a strong market for it. If a a writer thinks it's in their best interest to write erotica, it's none of my concern. But I wish she would have used a pen name. Because the next time she releases a sweet love story, I'd like to be able to grab it on day one. I won't though. I'll wait until I see a review from someone I really trust. Someone who only reviews PG-13 books. If it's positive, I'll buy the book, otherwise I won't.

Lesson learned. Branding is more important than Beth thought. What I've taken away from this, and what I hope other people do too, is that if you're going to do a huge genre shift use a pen  name. I know it sucks to be debut all over again, and not be able to rely on your platform, but in the long run it's probably better than alienating your audience. And if you're not going to produce multiple books in the new genre, ask yourself if it really needs to be published. How does publishing it work into your long term goals.

12 comments:

  1. I've run into this as well, when one of my favorite SF/Fantasy writers dipped into erotica.

    It isn't so much a genre-shift as a mood shift, and it's far more difficult to categorize. A lot of people switch genres without any problem, but if the new story is completely divorced in style from the previous books there's going to be some culture shock even if the story is putitively in the same "genre."

    If a person wants to write erotica, they should start in erotica. If sweet love stories are the main focus, at least warn your readers if you publish something different!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that part of what happening is that writers are shifting to erotica, because it's popular right now and easier to make money at. In doing so, their original fan base may be alienated or at the very least disappointed.

      Delete
  2. Whew! Don't you hate it when that happens? I almost wish there was a little rating for books like they have for movies. I like to read sci-fi, and there's been more than one instance where I picked up a book that had some pretty graphic and gratuitous sex. if I'm expecting spaceships, aliens, or time-travel, I don't want to be blindsided by erotica.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have a problem with an author writing in more than one genre, but communicating this to your fans is crucial. Take JK Rowling. Casual Vacancy is completely different from HP in every way possible, but Rowling made this perfectly clear to her readers. She also, didn't market CV in any of her HP dedicated sites. Now, most authors don't get the chance for numerous tv interviews before a release. This is why an author's website, newsletter, twitter/FB account and the like are so important.

    I think Kelly Hashway does a great job with this. She writes PB, MG, YA fantasy and contemporary novellas. She makes sure readers know what they are getting with each of her books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, I just saw my name and had to read this. Thank you so much, Sarah. I try to be very upfront about what my readers can expect. I've even told people that if they don't like zombies, Touch of Death isn't for them. I'm fine with that. Some topics aren't for everyone, and I'd rather save the reader from something that isn't what they want. I'm glad to hear my efforts are being noticed. That really means a lot to me. :)

      Delete
  4. Branding is important, yet I think that readers can make short leaps, such as from a blend of YA horror and fantasy to YA sci-fi, as they both fit into the speculative fiction category. And, Beth, I agree with you that someone writing YA or middle grade should use a penname for any erotica.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that a pen name would've been good in this situation. Usually when there's a jump in topics like this (introducing sex) a pen name is suggested by the publisher. I've seen it happen to several writers I know and they all chose to use pen names to avoid what happened to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first two books were with a small press, but the third is self published and it makes me wonder if that's why.

      Delete
  6. This is why I dropped the YA horror book I was editing. It didn't fit the NA brand I was planning to build. I didn't want to have to work on both. Who has the time?

    I've studied erotica and I know there is more to it than you realize, Beth. Just like there's more to YA than a lot of people realize. Most of the NA books I've read do have warnings on the Amazon and Goodreads pages about adult content. They have to if it's not appropriate for readers under the age of 17 (or for anyone who doesn't want graphic sex scenes).

    (ps graphic sex scenes does not make a book erotica. There's more to it than that, but most people don't realize that.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree that branding is important. I'm very disappointed when my favorite authors put out things that aren't at all what I was expecting. And I'm thinking about going to different genres and age groups with my new WIPs. I guess I'll have to find another pseudonym (if anything ever sells! lol). :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree...if you're just changing genre and pulling a Meg cabot and switching things up and writing a YA paranormal series I think it's fine but if you're switching from YA to something more adult and erotica you definietely need a pen name. Otherwise you'll upset and tunr off readers like you were.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think Lili St. Clair is a great example, she has a pen name for her YA and writes under her full name for her adult books.

    ReplyDelete