Monday, January 21, 2013

Reflections of a Writer

I taught a class on blurb writing/plotting this weekend. You see the slash plotting, because my blurb writing class focuses on letting your plot write the blurb for you! Okay, so maybe the plot doesn't actually write the blurb. The blurb is still a lot of work, but the plot helps a whole lot! But this was a big deal for me, not just because it was the first time I've presented a writing workshop, but because a year ago I knew I had a problem plotting. It made me want to cry. I decided to get an MFA to improve my writing, but it would be more than a year before I could start. I wasn't willing to wait that long to improve my writing. I had to get better now, so I could get published. Not knowing what else to do, I started taking books apart on my blog. It became so second nature that the next time I queried, I used my seven plot points to set up my query. And that query went very well. Today, I plot so well that I'm teaching others to use the three act structure to set up their query.

The thing I love about this is that if I can learn to plot, anyone can learn anything. What have you learned over the past year? What are you hoping to learn this year?

1 comment:

  1. I've learned I do well under pressure. I get overwhelmed, but then I end up performing how I want to. I need to kind of stress out about it first though. LOL. I guess it's my process.

    ReplyDelete