Wednesday, January 23, 2013

The Broken Path Blurb & Excerpt

Reminder: I'm in my writing cave. Hope to be around commenting soon.

Last week, I met an awesome writer, Cami who has a few books out, all clean romance. So today, she's given me an excerpt of her book which I'd like to share.


Blurb:
Injured in a debilitating accident at age six, Ethan Searle believes women eye him with a mixture of pity and disdain. He’s tried love before. He won’t again. He meets his match in a precocious two-year old who loves him despite his disability, even while her mother seems bothered by everything about Ethan.

Autumn Reader escaped her abusive marriage with her beautiful daughter and a stack of fear. She can’t make the mistake of trusting a man again. Autumn’s daughter becomes enraptured by Ethan. Despite Autumn’s best intentions, she finds herself following her daughter’s example. When her ex-husband reappears, threatening everyone she loves if she won’t submit to his demands, Autumn has to learn to trust or lose her chance at real love.

“Characters to fall in love with, action to keep you turning pages, and the most adorable little girl ever, The Broken Path is a compelling tale of strength and trust, courage and heart. I truly enjoyed this book.” – Maria Hoagland, Author of Family Size

"The Broken Path is sweet romance with heart, suspense, and plenty of story twists that kept me turning pages. Add in a romantic hero with a cane, a struggling single mom, and an adorable little girl and this book has it all!" --Heather Justesen, author of The Switch
Excerpt:
The door swung open. Her heart’s palpitations ceased. Ethan’s attire was simple, Levis and a white V-necked shirt. He’d never looked better.
“Autumn,” his deep voice warmed her more than the summer sun. “You look beautiful.”
She tugged at the hem of her shorts, glad her long legs were tan from playing outside with Brittan.
“You...you...”Autumn stuttered, trying to find the right words to express how he looked.“...look beautiful, too,” she said. She barely caught her hand from smacking her head. What kind of an idiot tells a man he looks beautiful?
He chuckled.
Heat crept up her face. “I mean, thank you, um, you look nice, too.”
He opened the door wider, a grin splitting his face. “Thanks. Why don’t you come through this way to the garage?”
“Sure.”
They made their way through the large great room toward the garage entry, his braces rhythmically slapping the wood floor.
“I thought we’d drive to Pocatello,” Ethan said. “Is that all right with you?”
“It’s great.” Anything’s all right, as long as you keep smiling like that.
“I told Nancy I’d come pick you up,” Ethan said, “but she insisted you’d come here.”
“It wasn’t a problem to come here.” Autumn looked up at his profile. It wasn’t a problem at all. She’d go anywhere just to look at him.
“Your mom acted really odd about the whole thing.”
“Odd is a nice way of putting it.” Autumn shook her head, grinning. “She was outright rude to me.”
Ethan laughed again. “I thought she’d be happy you asked me out.”
“Happy? I asked you?” Autumn stopped and stared at him. “What are you talking about? Youasked me out.”
“What?” He stopped as well, making a quarter turn with his braces to face her. “Nancy called me and said you were too busy with work so you couldn’t call. She said you wanted to take me to dinner for watching Brit.”
Autumn’s jaw dropped. “Why, that conniving, little...”
Ethan elevated one eyebrow. “I guess you didn’t ask me out?”
“No. I sure didn’t. I can’t believe my mother would...” Autumn’s voice faltered. Ethan’s shoulders drooped; his eyes filled with pain. “Not that I wouldn’t have asked you out, and I do owe you for watching Brit, it’s just I didn’t think you would want—”
“You don’t owe me anything,” Ethan interrupted her, his voice soft. “I’m sorry for the misunderstanding. Let me walk you to the door.”
Read more or buy The Broken Path on Amazon
Cami is a part-time author, part-time exercise consultant, part-time housekeeper, full-time wife, and overtime mother of four adorable boys. Sleep and relaxation are fond memories. She's never been happier.
A portion of the proceeds from Cami's books will be donated to The Child & Family Support Center. For more information on this worthy cause, please go to www.cachecfsc.org

3 comments:

  1. Engrossing excerpt. Great to meet Cami.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great story, Cami. A little bit like SAFE HAVEN, but still very much a different story.

    ReplyDelete