Wednesday, January 16, 2013

If I Ever Make A Million Dollars...

Reminder: Kismet is free at Amazon today and made the best seller list for romantic shorts yesterday. It's still there but has fallen. And I'm giving away books here.


If I ever make a million dollars, I'll pay my student loans off and not give the government a 100% profit. I'll move to Texas and buy a house. And then I will start a writer's room in the city I live. I've heard they have these in New York and California. A place writers can go grab a cubicle and work without interruption. Chicago has something similar, The Story Studio which also teaches writing classes. But even Chicago is two hours from me.

So I will move to Dallas or Austin and start the coolest writer's room ever. The cubicles will have locking drawers. You will give an attendant your state ID and get the key to the drawer, so that you don't have to pack up your laptop every time you get up to use the restroom.  It will have a day care that is either free ran by parent volunteers or charges by the hour with no minimum. You have one hour to write, fine use it and don't pay someone for the week. It will have a gym for people who can put in a whole day and need a good break. Go downstairs and run, have lunch and get started again. It will most likely be ran as a non-profit a good will venture to help books be created. I'll allow someone to lease space and run a cafeteria, so when you're on a roll you don't have to leave for lunch. If it profits at all, it will be from low cost classes.

What would you do with a million dollars?

6 comments:

  1. Great idea, Beth! And congrats on Kismet being on the best seller list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beth, I belong to one of those "writing rooms" in NYC! It IS a luxury to be able to go to a place where others are all working and you can hear people type. They also have guest editors and agents come to give talks.
    What would I do with a million bucks? I'd invest it so I could live off of the dividends. I'd travel, I'd rent hotel rooms here and there and write in exotic locations. Yes, congrats on Kismet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Catherine, you'd have way more fun than me (although the thought of the gov not making 100% profit off me is appealing). But maybe my southern writer's room could be my legacy. When I die, they'll rename it Beth Fred's Writer's Room. LOL. Of course, I'll probably never make a million dollars anyhow. LOL.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a good plan. My little town barely has a coffee shop, let alone a writer's room. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your plans, Beth. I would have my own office for writing overlooking . . . um . . . well I'm not sure what it would be overlooking, but it would be a great view no matter what I choose in the end. Plus I would donate to charities that mean a lot to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. PS Congrats on the success of your short story! :D

    ReplyDelete