Friday, June 27, 2014

Big Dreams Bloghop

The Big Dreams Blogfest is hosted by Misha Gericke and me. And I'm still partially drugged from double oral surgery today, so hopefully this is coherent. LOL.

My goal for this month was to finish rewriting Perfect Harmony and get it to a CP. Before I did this I needed to finish writing character studies. I got through several character studies but didn't finish them and never started on rewrites. But a couple of stressful situations in my life are quickly dissolving so this month I should have more time. And next week the ELF is going to preschool all day, all week! So I'm hoping to get through the character studies and some rewrites.

But I havea question for you. I never count rewrites in my word deposit. (A million words is one of my goals). Should I be? Should I be counting words of character studies and rewrites?

Also, I'm teaching a blurb writing class in August and space is limited. Sign up here.

7 comments:

  1. I'm not sure about counting rewrites, unless it is a major change and you are almost starting from scratch - but I would certainly count character studies! Good luck with your rewrite and glad to hear you are going to get some added writing time with the elf in preschool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm I'm not sure. I tend not to count them, since I'm more focused on word count targets in rough drafts. There's a reason, though: I find it so much easier to rewrite and edit that it's almost no effort compared to drafting.

    Drafting, on the other hand, I keep track of because I can lose days where I don't write anything. Don't get me wrong. I love drafting, but it's more of a slog and the one place where I'm more likely to procrastinate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm, I don't know if that counts toward your word count goal. That's a good question.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your surgery sounds painful. Hope all is well now. Good luck with your characters and rewrites. I have no idea about your word count. Maybe Google it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, oral surgery is not fun...hope you are doing okay! As far as your word count, I don't think I would count rewrites either.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Beth,

    I've never counted rewrites in my word count.
    Hope you're feeling a lot less woozy now.
    Thanks for visiting my blog today.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good question! I don't count those words either. Mainly because it's too tough to calculate! Good luck with your rewrite!

    ReplyDelete