Friday, February 3, 2012

Answering My Own Questions

On Wed. I posted my interview with Nazrea Andrews and promised to answer my own questions, because she and Elizabeth had been so honest. I didn't have time for this yesterday, so here they are.

1. How long have you been writing?

Forever, but I've only been trying to write novels since Dec. of 09.

2. How many full length manuscripts have you written?
Three, but two sucked.

3. How many times have you queried and how many rejections have you received?
I've only queried one project and it received a whopping 105 rejections.

4. Do you have an agent?
No.

5. Do you ever get discouraged with all the rejection we face?
Oh my God yes, so much so that sometimes it's hard to write. Other time it adversely affects my writing. Sometimes it just makes me sad. But then I get over it.

6. How do you stay motivated?
The truth is I don't know. In honesty, I have my slumps where I'm just not motivated for way too long, but then I always find a spark, usually in a book. Also, I have the best husband in the world. When I know I need extra motivation I enlist his help and he's always willing. Recently I asked for $100 when I finish my current WIP. He just said yes with no questions and no explanation.

7. Have you ever consider self publishing and why or why not?
Honestly, yes sometimes very seriously so. I know some very well published people who have had to make decisions for their books based on an editor's demand, that I would not have made. If I self publish, I have the control. I don't so much care about covers or small things, but don't tell me what to do with my characters. There are many other things about the current "traditional" publishing model that I don't like. Although with the success of Amazon, I think lots of things I don't like about publishing may change in the next decade. But for me at this point in my career, I'm not sure self publishing is a good option. To do it and do it right is terribly expensive.

8. Do you have any advice for other aspiring writers?
Read A LOT. I think you're goal should be a book a week, if you can read more than that great. If you don't quite make it there, fine. Read until you find what you love. Then read because you love it. You learn as much from reading fiction as you do from writing and critiquing. If you're into YA and want specific recommendations I'd say Shatter Me for both pacing and voice, Twilight for characterization, Shiver for mood and tone (book 1 the others don't carry mood and tone the same way), and as for YA with a really strong example of good plotting I honestly don't know. Maybe you could recommend one for me?

1 comment:

  1. Keep reading and learn to quit criticizing as you read. That's one I had to learn. Nice to get to know you better.

    ReplyDelete